Savory Meat Pie
Here's another hearty recipe for a cold night -- meat pie is real comfort food!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 full cups (12 ounces) diced cooked lean roast beef
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) sliced carrots, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) diced cooked potatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar Heinz Fat Free Beef Gravy
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (7.5-ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in roast beef, carrots, peas, and potatoes. Add gravy, parsley flakes, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Separate biscuits and cut each into 3 pieces.
- Evenly sprinkle biscuit pieces over hot meat mixture. Lightly spray biscuit tops with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 6 servings.
- 1. If you don't have leftovers, purchase a chunk of lean cooked roast beef from your local deli or use Healthy Choice Deli slices. 2. Thaw peas by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for one minute
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.