Savory Stuffed Fish
This healthy fish dish features a delicious crab meat stuffing.
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 long, thin fish fillets (about 4 ounces each), such as flounder, sole, or orange roughy
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- Ground paprika
- 3 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cooked crab meat, or 1 can (6 ounces) crab meat, drained
- Rinse the fish with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- To make the stuffing, tear the bread into pieces, place in a blender or food processor, and process into coarse crumbs. There should be 1 1/2 cups. Adjust the amount if necessary, and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, lemon pepper, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of the broth, and stir to mix. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add a little more broth if the skillet becomes too dry.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and toss the bread crumbs and crab meat into the vegetable mixture. Gently toss in the remaining broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is moist but not wet, and holds together nicely. Add a little more broth or water if needed.
- Arrange the fish fillets on a flat surface, and spread a quarter of the stuffing over the bottom half of each fillet, gently pressing the stuffing onto the fish so that it holds together. Fold the tops over to enclose the filling, and secure each fillet with a wooden toothpick.
- Coat a 9-inch nonstick square pan with nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray, and arrange the fillets in the pan. Spray the top of each fillet lightly with the cooking spray, and sprinkle with the paprika. Bake uncovered at 400°F for 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.