Savory Swiss Steak
Type: Main Dishes
Served with noodles or brown rice and accompanied by a vegetable, this Swiss steak can be a filling and balanced meal.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1-pound top round steak
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, crushed
- Trim all visible fat from the meat. Rinse the meat with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the meat into 4 pieces, and use a meat mallet to pound each piece to 3/8-inch thickness.
- Place the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish, and stir to mix. Dip the meat in the flour mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet, and brown for 2 to 3 minutes, or until nicely browned. Spray the top of the beef with the cooking spray, turn, and cook for 2 to 3 additional minutes, or until both sides are browned.
- Pour the tomatoes over the meat, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the meat is very tender. Scrape the bottom of the pan occasionally, adding a little water if the skillet becomes too dry. Serve hot with noodles or brown rice, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.