Savory Turkey and Rice
Chicken bouillon adds a good chicken flavor to the rice in this dish, but the sherry, mushrooms, onions, and turkey make it scrumptious.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound turkey breast tenderloins
- 5 1/4 cups unsalted chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) green peas
- Rinse the turkey with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray, and arrange the turkey in a single layer in the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of the broth, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes, or until the meat is tender and the turkey is no longer pink inside.
- Remove the turkey from the pan, and allow to cool to room temperature. Tear the meat into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- Place the rice, 5 cups of the broth, and the bouillon granules in a 2 1/2-quart pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stir, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer without stirring for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove the pot from the heat, and allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Place the mushrooms, onion, sherry, garlic, poultry seasoning, and pepper in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the peas, rice, turkey, and remaining 2 tablespoons of broth, and toss until heated through. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.