Type: Main Dishes
This tender scalloped potato dish is best for older toddlers. Refrigerate leftovers in the baking pan, and spoon out portions as you need them.
Serves: Makes about 5 cups
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 2-quart deep baking dish.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2"-thick slices; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until the mixture begins to brown. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cheese for the topping. Add the remaining cheese to the sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the baking dish, then pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved 2 tablespoons of cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.