Seafood Gumbo with Rice
This version of seafood gumbo makes a great meal that your whole family is sure to love.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 15-Ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 16-Ounce package frozen sliced okra 1 pound cooked shrimp or imitation seafood
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (instant is fine)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Few drops hot sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cooked white rice
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, okra, seafood, broth, garlic, thyme, paprika, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for a few minutes until the okra is heated through.
- Combine the flour and water in a jar and shake well.
- Add the flour mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook for a minute until the mixture thickens.
- While the gumbo is simmering, reheat the rice in the microwave.
- Serve the gumbo over rice.
From The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes by Dena Irwin, R.D. Copyright © 1998 by Dena Irwin. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To order this book visit www.wiley.com.