This casserole dish, filled with a mixture of seafood and rice, will send everyone running to the table!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups canned crabmeat
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated nonfat Parmesan cheese
- Spray 2 1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; add vegetable broth and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Add skim milk and half-and-half; stirring constantly, cook mixture over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in pepper, bell pepper, water chestnuts, lemon juice, crabmeat, shrimp, cooked rice and cheddar cheese. Spoon mixture into casserole dish.
- Casserole can be covered and refrigerated at this point up to overnight.
- When ready to serve: Preheat oven to 350F. Bake 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes, until browned on top.
- Americans increase their intake of rice each year by about 1 pound. According to the latest statistics, rice consumption is about 25 pounds per person per year.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.