Type: Main Dishes
This shepherd's pie recipe produces a moist beef and vegetable base, and a smooth potato and cheese topping.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen (thawed) mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup nonfat or light sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- To make the topping, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Place in a 2-quart pot, barely cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of water from the potatoes, reserving the drained water. Add the sour cream or yogurt, salt, and pepper, and mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. If the potatoes are too stiff, add a little of the reserved cooking liquid. Set aside.
- Coat a large, deep nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Stir the tomato sauce, chili powder, bouillon granules, and oregano into the beef, and continue to cook and stir just until the mixture is heated through.
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spoon the beef mixture into the dish. Arrange the mixed vegetables in a layer over the beef mixture. Then spread the mashed potatoes over the vegetables.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly. Top with the cheese, and bake for 5 additional minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.