Shepherd's pie is a main-stay meal in almost every household, so freeze up a batch to have on hand for those busy nights.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 8
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) ground lamb
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 × 14oz (400g) cans diced tomatoes
- 9oz (250g) frozen peas
- Put the potatoes in a pot of boiling water and cook for 15 minutes, until soft. Drain, then mash well. Add the butter and mash again until creamy. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are starting to soften. Add the lamb and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the garlic and oregano, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the peas, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then return to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour a 11/2in (3.5cm) layer of lamb sauce into 2 large tin-foil dishes (4 portions per dish) and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Let cool completely, then cover with lids, seal, and freeze for up to 6 months. To serve, remove the lids and bake from frozen in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 25 minutes or until brown on top and piping hot inside.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!