Shrimp and Tomato Curry
Exotic spices like cumin, coriander, and curry powder enliven shrimp in this healthy shrimp dish.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 14-oz (425-g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp frozen peas
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- a good squeeze of tomato paste from a tube
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 12 oz (375 g) jumbo shrimp, shelled and cooked (if frozen, defrost in refrigerator)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- Put the onion, tomatoes with their juice, garlic, half of the fresh cilantro, frozen peas, and crumbled stock cube in a pan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Make a paste with the cumin, ground coriander, tomato paste, salt, and a little water. Add the garam masala, curry powder, and chili pepper.
- Add this spice mixture to the tomato sauce, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, and let them simmer in the sauce for a further 3 minutes-no longer or they will get leathery.
- Then turn off the heat, stir in the cream, sprinkle with the rest of the fresh cilantro, and serve at once with boiled rice.
- To make this a more substantial dish, add a can of sweet corn in unsweetened water to the tomato sauce.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!