Type: Main Dishes
If hot as the "devil," is too hot, use less of the hot red pepper
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 / 2 tsp crushed hot red pepper, or more to taste
- 1lb ( 450g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes, until beginning to turn golden. Add the red pepper and cook for 5 minutes more, until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in the wine and boil about 2 minutes until reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer about 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Season with crushed hot pepper.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook about 3 minutes, or until they turn opaque. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and serve immediately.
- prep 5 mins; cook 20 mins
Shrimp à la Basquaise: Dice the red pepper and add 1 diced green pepper. Cook as above, omitting the Worcestershire sauce.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!