The flavors in this shrimp dish are savory and oh-so-delicious.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: Serves 8
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 × 14oz (400g) cans whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2lb (675g) shelled uncooked shrimp
- 9oz (250g) feta cheese
- handful of fresh thyme leaves
- Heat half the oil in a large frying saucepan, add the onions, and cook over low heat for 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for a few seconds more, then add the tomatoes and their juices, the wine and sugar and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil, squashing the tomatoes with the back of fork, then reduce to a simmer. Cook gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan, add the shrimp, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Stir the shrimp into the sauce, remove from the pan, and sprinkle with the feta. Place on the grill until the feta melts and turns golden brown, then sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Serve with a crisp salad and some crusty bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!