Simple Grilled Sardines
Fresh sardines are delicious and taste great when seasoned with paprika.
Serves: Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon good-quality paprika
- 12 fresh sardines
- 2 lemons, one halved and one cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is hot (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Mix together the olive oil, garlic, and paprika in a small bowl. Pour this mixture over the sardines, then squeeze the two lemon halves over them and sprinkle with the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the sardines on the grill directly over the coals and cook until they are nicely seared on the outside and just opaque on the inside (3-4 minutes per side). To check for doneness, manipulate one of the sardines so you can see inside it at its thickest point to be sure it is just opaque all the way through.
- Serve with lemon quarters for squeezing.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!