A mixture of sour, sweet, and salty, this stroganoff dish tastes complex, but it's easy to make!
Serves: 5 servings
- 12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 ounces wide or extra-broad whole wheat ribbon noodles or no-yolk noodles
- 1 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- Coat a large, deep nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until the meat is no longer pink. Drain off and discard any excess fat.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, water, tomato paste, bouillon granules, and pepper to the skillet, and stir to mix well. Increase the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the noodles to the skillet, and stir gently to mix. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the noodles are al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the sour cream, and stir gently to mix well. Cook for 1 additional minute, or just until the sour cream is heated through. (Add a little more water or broth if the sauce seems too dry.) Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.