Making this spicy blend of ground meat and tomato sauce is almost as easy as opening a can of commercial sloppy Joe sauce - plus it tastes deliciously homemade!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Heinz Light Harvest Ketchup or any reduced-sodium ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, brown meat, onion, and green pepper. Stir in ketchup and water. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and Sugar Twin. Mix well to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For each sandwich, spoon about 1/2 cup filling between two halves of a hamburger bun.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.