Smoked Fish and Anchovy Gratin
Spice things up with this smoked fish and anchovy gratin.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 1/2oz (125g) smoked mackerel, thinly sliced or broken into small chunks
- 8-12 anchovies in oil, drained
- 4 all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled, boiled, and sliced
- 1-2 tbsp butter, melted
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cups (300ml) whole milk
- handful of curly parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a few seconds longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon, then beat in a little of the milk until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat, and slowly add the rest of the milk, whisking until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley.
- Layer the fish and anchovies in an ovenproof dish, then cover with the sauce. Top with an even layer of potatoes, brush with melted butter, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy and the fish is heated through. Serve with a green salad.
- For lump-free sauce every time, once you've beaten in the first amount of milk with a wooden spoon, switch to a balloon whisk while adding the remaining milk.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!