South Seas Meatloaf
Type: Main Dishes
You may not think that pineapple belongs in a meatloaf recipe, but give it a try!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) crushed pineapple, packed in fruit juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 6 tablespoons purchased graham cracker crumbs or 6 (2 1/2-inch) graham cracker squares, made into crumbs
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup Heinz Light Harvest Ketchup or any reduced-sodium ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine undrained pineapple, onion, green pepper, Sugar Twin, parsley flakes, and graham cracker crumbs. Add meat. Mix well to combine.
- Pat mixture into prepared loaf pan. Spoon ketchup evenly over top. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Place loaf pan on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.
- A self-seal sandwich bag works great for crushing graham crackers.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.