Spaghetti with Clams
This light pasta dish has the classic sauce of white wine and garlic with toasted bread crumbs
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3lbs ( 1.3kg) littleneck clams
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb ( 450g) spaghetti
- pinch crushed hot red pepper
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- 1 / 4 cup chopped parsley
- Soak the clams in cold salted water for 1 hour. Drain, then scrub well, discarding any clams that do not close when tapped.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp oil and 1 garlic clove in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes until pale gold. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water according to package instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 5 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan with the remaining garlic and the hot pepper over medium heat. Cook until the garlic turns gold. Add the clams and the wine. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan often, until all the clams have opened. Remove the lid, increase the heat to high, and boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the spaghetti, add to the clams, and toss to combine. Transfer to individual bowls and sprinkle each with toasted bread crumbs. Serve hot, with more olive oil passed at the table.
- prep 20 mins; cook 15 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!