Spaghetti with Puttanesca
A spicy Sicilian pasta sauces gets its edge from capers and olives
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10-15 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1 / 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 / 2 fresh hot red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 1 / 2 lb ( 680g) ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 6 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1lb ( 450g) spaghetti
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and chile and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is pale gold. Add the tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and capers and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Return the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, or until the juices thicken.
- Cook the spaghetti in a pot of lightly salted boiling water over high heat according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain.
- Toss the spaghetti with the sauce and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 10-15 mins
Arrabiata Sauce: Make as above, but omit the olives, capers and anchovies. Use 1 whole fresh hot red chile and replace the parsley with basil leaves.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!