Spanish-style Chicken with Pine Nuts
Pine nuts make a great addition to this Spanish-style chicken dish.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs (preferably free-range)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- handful of pine nuts, toasted
- handful of golden raisins (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large cast iron or other flameproof casserole, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden all over. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining oil, the onion, and a pinch of salt to the same pan, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and fresh tomatoes, and season with pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the red wine, increase the heat slightly, and let bubble for a few minutes.
- Stir in the hot stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and return the chicken to the pan along with the pine nuts and raisins. Gently simmer for 30-40 minutes, adding a little hot water if the mixture becomes dry. Serve hot with rice or boiled new potatoes.
- An enameled cast-iron Dutch oven is ideal for this sort of dish. It can be used on the cooktop or in the oven, and you can cook the dish as fast or slow as you wish without the food burning.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!