Spiced Sausage Cassoulet
Make a big batch of this flavorful sausage dish to have on hand for busy nights.
Prep Time: 35M
Cooking Time: 2H
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 3/4in (2cm) dice
- 16 sweet pork sausages
- 7oz (200g) slab bacon, cut into thin strips or lardons
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 × 14oz (400g) cans haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or purée
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 11/4 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 41/2oz (125g) fresh bread crumbs
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole, add the onions, celery, and potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the sausages and bacon and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the haricot verts, tomato paste, paprika, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Combine well, then add the wine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the stock and 11/4 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the parsley and cover the top of the dish liberally. Dot with pats of butter, cover, and bake for 11/2 hours. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes. Serve with a crisp green salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!