Spinach and Mushroom Calzones
Using fresh spinach and mushrooms will dramatically improve the taste of these calzones.
Serves: 4 calzones
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons beaten egg white or fat-free egg substitute
- 1 1/3 cups bottled marinara sauce or Chunky Garden Marinara Sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 5 cups (packed) coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves (about 5 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- To make the filling, coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the spinach, thyme, and pepper, and stir-fry for 2 additional minutes, or until the spinach is wilted and any excess liquid has evaporated. Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the Parmesan. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions, and shape each portion into a ball. Working on a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a 7-inch circle.
- Spread a quarter of the spinach mixture over half of each crust to within 1/2 inch of the edges, and top with 3 tablespoons of mozzarella. Moisten the edges of the dough with water, and fold the circle in half to enclose the filling. Seal the edges by pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer the calzones to the sheet. Brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg white or egg substitute, and prick the tops in a couple of places with a fork. Bake at 450°F for about 10 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.
- While the calzones are baking, place the sauce in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat until warmed through. Serve the calzones hot with a side dish of the warm dipping sauce.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.