These meatless enchiladas provide healthy spinach and delicious melted cheese.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- 6 low-fat flour tortillas
- 3 cups low-fat enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Steam or microwave spinach just until wilted, 2 to 4 minutes; drain well.
- Divide spinach and 3/4 cup cheese among tortillas; roll tortillas.
- Pour 1 cup enchilada sauce on bottom of baking dish; arrange enchiladas on top.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until hot and lightly browned.
- Enchiladas can be frozen before or after baking. If freezing before baking, wrap enchiladas separately (without sauce or cheese) in freezer wrap and store in plastic freezer bag.
- To bake uncooked enchiladas (from frozen state): Spread sauce on bottom of dish, top with enchiladas, remaining sauce and cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes in 400F oven.
- Spinach is rich in folic acid, a nutrient responsible for producing key chemicals for the brain and nervous system.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.