You can make this spinach quiche in advance or right when you want it. It's easy, and your family will make sure you have no leftovers!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 16-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded nonfat Swiss cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 9-or 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Combine cooked rice, 1/4 cup egg substitute and soy sauce in medium bowl and mix well. Spread mixture onto bottom of pie plate.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Combine spinach, remaining egg substitute, egg whites, half-and-half and pepper in bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture over rice layer; top with cheese.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until set.
- If not serving immediately, cool to room temperature.
- Quiche can be wrapped and frozen whole or sliced into individual servings, wrapped and frozen. Reheat in microwave or 350F oven.
- Spinach contains two compounds, lutein and zeaxanthin, which have been shown to prevent age-related macular degeneration and vision loss.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.