Spinach, Squash, and Horseradish Bake
Spinach, squash, and horseradish combine perfectly in this delicious casserole bake.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 11/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 tsp cream-style white horseradish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Put the spinach in a saucepan with a little water (the water clinging to the freshly-rinsed leaves should be enough), and cook, stirring, for a few minutes over medium-low heat until just wilted. Drain, and squeeze out the excess water. Set aside.
- Put the squash and garlic in a saucepan, pour in the cream, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the squash, and layer it in an ovenproof dish with the wilted spinach.
- Stir the horseradish into the cream remaining in the pan, then pour the mixture over the squash. Season with salt and lots of pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Use fresh pumpkin instead of the butternut squash.
- Make sure you use heavy cream in this dish; it is very stable and won't separate during cooking.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!