Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto
This hearty vegetarian rice dish with sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, and cheese is perfect for a fall, winter, or holiday dinner.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) brown rice
- 6 oz (175 g) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ripe red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated Cheddar, Parmesan, or other hard cheese
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, sun-dried tomatoes-drain them first if they are in oil-stock, and fresh tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- Add the basil, and stir in the cheese before serving.
- Note: For a quicker version of this recipe, you can use boil-in-the-bag or instant brown rice. While it's cooking according to the package instructions, heat the oil, and fry the onion and garlic until they are just beginning to brown. Add the sun-dried and fresh tomatoes, and sauté for another 5 minutes. When the rice is ready, stir it into the tomato mixture, season to taste, add the basil, stir in the cheese, and serve.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!