Swedish meatballs are a traditional buffet dish. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for large gatherings, and the meatballs reheat beautifully.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (2 1/4 ounces) dried fine bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (one 12-fluid-ounce can) Carnation Evaporated Skim Milk
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk, onion flakes, allspice, and nutmeg. Mix well to combine. Form into 24 (1-inch) meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray and brown on all sides.
- In a small bowl, combine mushroom soup, remaining 1 cup evaporated skim milk, parsley flakes, and black pepper.
- Spoon soup mixture evenly over meatballs. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- For each serving, place 4 meatballs on a plate and spoon 1/4 cup sauce mixture over top.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.