Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet and sour pork is a favorite in many homes -- try it in yours!
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 12oz (350g) leftover roast pork, coarsely shredded
- 7oz (200g) snow peas, cut in half crosswise diagonally
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tbsp ground tomatoes or tomato purée
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 11/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- First, make the sweet and sour sauce. In a bowl, mix together the tomato purée, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, and sugar. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the onion, and stir-fry for a few minutes until soft, moving it around the pan often so that it doesn't brown. Pour in the sauce, and keep stirring.
- Mix the cornstarch into a paste with 1 tablespoon water, and add to the sauce along with the stock. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Now add the pork, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the snow peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Taste, and season if needed. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!