Swiss Noodle Kugel
Type: Main Dishes
Three cheeses and egg substitute make this noodle dish a hit among both kids and adults.
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 ounces wide no-yolk noodles
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided*
- 1 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Cook the noodles al dente according to package directions. Drain well, and return to the pot.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, and 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese to the noodles, and toss to mix well.
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the noodle mixture evenly in the dish. Place the egg substitute, evaporated milk, and nutmeg in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Pour the mixture over the noodles, and sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons of Parmesan over the top.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and a sharp knife inserted in the center of the dish comes out clean.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.