This fresh tomato pasta sauce is flavored with pancetta and hot red pepper
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4oz ( 115g) pancetta, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 / 4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
- 2lb ( 900g) ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or one 28oz ( 784g) can chopped tomatoes with their juices
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb ( 450g) dried tagliatelle or fettuccine
- freshly grated Pecorino Romano, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook about 3 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Add the onion and celery and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, about 6 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the garlic and hot pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in a large pot of lightly salted water according the package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Add the pancetta and tomato sauce and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with the cheese passed on the side.
- prep 10 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!