Type: Main Dishes
As tender and flavorful as the classic restaurant dish, this at-home recipe has a more natural color
Prep Time: prep 10-15 mins, plus at least 3 hrs marinating
Cooking Time: cook 25-35 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- one 1 / 2 in ( 13mm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1 / 4 tsp chili powder, to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 / 4 tsp salt
- pinch of ground turmeric
- pinch of hot paprika
- pinch of saffron threads
- 4 chicken legs, skin removed
- vegetable oil, for the broiler rack
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
- To make the marinade, pur閑 the onion, garlic, and ginger in a blender or food processor. Add the lemon juice, chili powder, garam masala, salt, turmeric, paprika, and saffron and process to combine.
- Pierce the chicken legs all over with a fork. Place them in a nonmetallic bowl. Add the marinade and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, occasionally turning the pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 425癋 (220癈). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place a broiler rack over the pan and oil the rack. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and arrange on the rack. Brush with half of the melted butter.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Preheat the broiler. Pour off the juices that have accumulated in the pan. Brush the chicken with more butter. Broil the chicken, still on the rack and pan, about 8in (20cm) from the source of heat for about 5 minutes, until the edges of the chicken are lightly charred. Serve hot, with the onions and lemon wedges.
- prep 10-15 mins, plus at least 3 hrs marinating; cook 25-35 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!