Tempting Tuna Casserole
Type: Main Dishes
Everyone is happy when they see a bubbling tuna casserole coming to the table. It'll be gone in no time!
Serves: 5 servings
- 8 ounces small seashell pasta (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) low-fat cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/2 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup frozen (thawed) green peas
- 1 can (9 ounces) water-packed solid white or albacore tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Place the mushroom soup, sour cream, and milk in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the soup mixture to the pasta, and toss to mix well. Add the peas, and toss gently to mix. Add the tuna, and toss gently to mix.
- Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture evenly in the dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes, or until the dish is heated through. Remove the foil, spread the cheese over the top, and bake uncovered for 5 additional minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.