Teriyaki chicken is a simple yet classic favorite.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skin on
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tsp mirin or dry sherry
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2in (5cm) piece of fresh ginger, grated
- To make the marinade, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Using a sharp pointed knife or skewer, poke the chicken all over. Add to the bowl with the marinade, ensuring that the chicken is well-coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Heat the barbecue or charcoal grill until hot. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade), and grill, skin-side up for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate, and leave to rest in a warm place for a few minutes while preparing the teriyaki sauce.
- Put the reserved marinade in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling until it thickens. Cut the chicken breasts into slices, and serve with the hot teriyaki sauce poured over them.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!