Type: Main Dishes
It's always fun to stuff manicotti tubes. See if you can get some little helpers.
Serves: 7 servings
- 14 manicotti tubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 recipe Chunky Garden Marinara Sauce, 1 recipe Arrabbiata Sauce or 3 1/2 cups Savory Meat Sauce
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- CHEESE FILLING
- 3 cups nonfat or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1/3 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the manicotti al dente according to package directions. Drain well, and set aside.
- To make the filling, place all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Coat a 9-x-13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the pan. Using a small spoon, stuff about 1/3 cup of the filling mixture into each of the tubes, and arrange the filled tubes in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the manicotti.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 30 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle the cup of mozzarella over the top, and bake for 5 additional minutes, or just until the cheese is melted. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.