Tofu and Mushroom Stroganoff
This recipe gives the traditional stroganoff a tasty vegetarian twist by substituting tofu chunks for the meat.
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12oz ( 350g) firm tofu, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 9oz ( 250g) mixed mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 / 3 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup crÃ¨me fraÃ®che or sour cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- boiled rice, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the tofu until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the stock, peanut butter, and tomato paste. Return the tofu to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook to blend the flavors, about 3 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold water and stir into the simmering liquid. Cook about 1 minute, until thickened.
- Stir in the crÃ¨me fraÃ®che and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives and serve with hot, with boiled rice.
- prep 15 mins; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!