Tofu Italian Casserole
This Italian casserole is essentially a tofu lasagna.
Serves: 1 casserole
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 pound ziti
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (or more to taste)
- Using 1 tablespoon oil, saute garlic until soft; add green pepper and onion and cook until onion turns yellow. Set aside.
- In separate skillet, cook drained, mashed tofu in remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add all spices and continue to cook on low heat until tofu stops steaming (5-10 minutes)
- Add one cup of sauce; simmer 5 minutes.
- Boil ziti until tender but not soft; rinse.
- In 2-quart baking dish, layer half the cooked ziti, 1-1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce, half the tofu mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat, using all remaining cheese on top.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until all cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.