Tuna and Pasta Bake
Type: Main Dishes
Every cook should have a recipe for this quick one-dish meal, which is ideal at the end of a busy day
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 8oz ( 230g) pasta shells
- one 10.75oz ( 305g) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- I cup whole milk
- one 6oz ( 170g) can tuna in water, drained and flaked
- I cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- pinch of chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, stir, and cook for 2 minutes less than the time on the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Butter an ovenproof casserole.
- Drain the pasta. Bring the mushroom soup and milk to a simmer over low heat in the pasta pot. Add the tuna, corn, red pepper, parsley, chili powder, and half of the cheese, and mix. Stir in the cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture in the casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot.
- Prepare ahead: The whole dish can be assembled, covered, and refrigerated several hours in advance. Remove the dish from the refrigerator at least 10 minutes before cooking.
- Good with hot garlic bread and a green salad on the side.
- Leftovers can be reheated. If the sauce has thickened, thin with a little extra milk.
Chicken and Pasta Bake: Replace the tuna with 7oz (200g) cooked chicken breasts, chopped and mixed in before the cooked pasta.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!