Turkey enchiladas are perfect on-the-go food -- you can eat them hot or cold.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained, divided
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/6 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups chopped, cooked low-fat turkey breast meat
- 1 1/2 cups shredded nonfat cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 low-fat flour tortillas
- 14-ounce can low-fat enchilada sauce
- Combine onion powder, chilies, picante sauce, sour cream, chili powder, turkey and 3/4 cup cheese in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly among tortillas, placing down center of each tortilla. Roll tortillas and place, seam side down, on baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 30 to 40 minutes, until slightly frozen. Place tortillas in plastic freezer bags (package according to the number you need for each meal).
- To prepare after freezing: Preheat oven to 325F. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on bottom of dish; arrange frozen enchiladas on top of sauce and cover with additional 1/2 to 3/4 cups sauce.
- Bake enchiladas 45 minutes; top with 3/4 cup cheese and bake 20 to 30 minutes, until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is melted.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.