Type: Main Dishes
Each stuffed potato half makes a hearty dinner. Leftover broccoli, corn, peas, or green beans round out this dish.
Serves: Makes 4 potato halves
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, cooked vegetables
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pierce the potatoes a few times with a fork or knife. Wrap each potato in aluminum foil and bake directly on the oven rack for about 45 minutes or until very tender. Remove from the oven and let cool until you can safely handle them. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Slice each potato in half and gently scoop out as much of the potato as possible without puncturing the skin.
- In a large bowl, mash together the potato flesh, milk, and butter. Stir in the vegetables and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Evenly fill each potato skin with the potato mixture, mounding it over the edge, if necessary. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.