This chili recipe requires just 5 minutes of effort and 25 minutes of cooking time.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 cup texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
- 7/8 cup vegetable or beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (1 pound) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 can (1 pound) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (1 pound) pinto beans, drained
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Place the TVP and broth in a 3-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pot from the heat, and let sit for 5 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the cheese to the TVP mixture, and stir to mix well. Place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot, topping each serving with some of the cheese, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.