Vegetarian Fried Rice
Type: Main Dishes
Crisp tofu and tender vegetables make this fried rice recipe a delight!
Serves: 5 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon sliced scallions
- 1 1/4 cups frozen (thawed) green peas
- 1 recipe Crispy Tofu Cubes
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray or with the vegetable oil, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, celery, and scallions, and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Cover the skillet periodically if it begins to dry out. (The steam from the cooking vegetables will moisten the skillet.) Add a few teaspoons of broth or water to the skillet only if necessary.
- Add the peas and tofu to the skillet mixture, and toss to mix well. Add the rice and soy sauce, and cook, tossing gently, for another minute or 2, or until the mixture is thoroughly heated and the flavors are well blended. Add a little broth or water if the mixture seems too dry. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.