Vegetarian Leek and Mushroom Lasagna
Categories: Quick to fix, Vegetarian, Big-Batch Meals, Entertaining, Comfort Foods
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
Leeks and mushrooms are a great combination for this vegetarian lasagna.
Prep Time: 25M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 8
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 leeks, cut into 1/4in (5mm) slices
- 11/4lb (550g) cremini mushrooms, sliced and 9oz (250g) cremini mushrooms, grated
- 2-3 red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- small handful of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 12oz (350g) medium-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb (450g) oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the leeks, and sautÃ© over low heat, for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until they release their juices. Add the chiles and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the wine, raise the heat, and allow to bubble for 3 minutes while the alcohol evaporates.
- Stir in the thyme, then add the flour and mix well. Add a little of the milk, mix well, then add the rest of the milk and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add almost all the cheese (reserve some for the topping), remove from heat, and combine well. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Put a 1/2in (1cm) layer of the mixture in the bottom of a large freezer-proof baking pan, then cover evenly with a layer of the lasagna noodles. Pour in another layer of sauce and cover with lasagna noodles. Repeat the process until all the sauce is used up-you need to finish with a layer of sauce. Top with the remaining cheese and the sliced tomatoes.
- Let cool completely, then double-wrap the dish in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, remove the plastic wrap and place the dish straight from the freezer to an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 30-40 minutes or until browned on top and piping hot inside.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!