Type: Main Dishes
Vegetarian moussaka makes a hearty meal, and freezes well so you can make a big batch to have on hand.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried mint leaves
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 × 15oz (425g) can aduki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 × 28oz (800g) can ground tomatoes or tomato purée
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- freshly ground black pepper
- 9oz (250g) Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the mint and 1 teaspoon of the dried oregano.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and pine nuts, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the bean mixture into a baking dish. Mix together the yogurt, egg, and remaining 2 tsp oregano. Spoon evenly over the top of the bean mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is golden, puffed, and set. Serve hot with a crisp green salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!