Veggie Pad Thai
Pad Thai is just as delicious when it's vegetarian.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 9oz (250g) wide or medium rice noodles
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8oz (225g) firm tofu, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup hot vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp Asian fish sauce, such as nam pla (optional)
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp demerara or raw sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 fresh hot red chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of scallions (green onions), finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of boiling hot water for 10 minutes, then drain. Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat, and swirl it around the pan. Add the tofu, and cook for about 10 minutes until golden-you may need to use more oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. When hot, add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds, then add the egg and cook, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until scrambled. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Now add another tablespoon of the oil. Again, when hot, add the drained noodles, and stir gently to coat with the oil. Pour in the stock, lime juice, fish sauce (if using), tamarind paste, sugar, and soy sauce; toss to combine. Let bubble for a few minutes, then stir in the chile.
- Add half of the peanuts, the scallions, and the bean sprouts, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Now top with the reserved scrambled egg, stir to combine, and transfer to a serving plate. To serve, scatter the remaining peanuts over the top, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cheat...Buy a prepared Pad Thai sauce and toss with the noodles for a quick home-from-work dish.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!