This sauceless pizza always goes over well, and the fennel seeds give it a bit of character!
Serves: 8 1 slice servings
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle. (For a thick crust, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle.) Coat a 14-inch (or 12-inch) pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the pan, forming a slight rim around the edges. Set the crust aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the ricotta and Parmesan in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Spread the cheese mixture over the crust to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle the mozzarella and provolone over the ricotta. Sprinkle the cheeses with the scallions; the olives, if desired; and the Italian seasoning and fennel seeds.
- Bake at 425°F for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned. Slice and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.