This healthy French salad can be made with anchovies or tuna and will become a new lunchtime favorite.
Serves: serves 4
- 1 head cos or iceberg lettuce
- 2 eggs
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 1 large red pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- 4 small boiled potatoes
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- a pinch of mixed herbs
- 11/2 tbsp good wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 pitted black olives
- Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Hard-boil and halve the eggs.
- Wash and quarter the tomatoes.
- Deseed the pepper and slice into strips.
- Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Halve the boiled potatoes.
- Soak the anchovy fillets for 30 minutes in the milk, then drain and dry.
- Make the dressing by adding the garlic and mixed herbs to the vinegar and oil. Mix thoroughly, and leave to stand while you prepare the salad.
- Line the salad bowl with the lettuce leaves. Arrange all the other ingredients in the middle, decorate with the olives and anchovy fillets on top, and add the dressing just before you eat.
- Toss and serve.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!