Pasta and Tuna Niçoise Salad
This easy summer dish is great for summer lunches and dining alfresco
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1lb ( 450g) dried shell-shaped pasta
- 6oz ( 140g) green beans, trimmed
- 2 tuna steaks, 1lb ( 450g) total
- olive oil, for the pasta and for brushing
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 8oz ( 225g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- To make the dressing, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard until combined.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water over high heat according to the package instructions until tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with a little olive oil.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, and pat dry. Add to the pasta.
- Preheat a ridged grill pan over high heat. Brush the tuna lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill pan and cook, turning once, for about 4 minutes, until seared but rare inside.
- Cut the tuna into bite-sized pieces and add to the pasta. Add the eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, anchovies, and olives. Just before serving, add the dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.
- Prepare ahead: The salad, without the lettuce and dressing, can be covered and refrigerated for several hours before serving. Just before serving, add the lettuce and dressing and lightly toss to combine.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!