There are many ways to prepare ham, cheese, peppers, and artichokes for antipasto -- but this is one of the best.
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 3 ounces nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or reduced-fat provolone cheese, thinly sliced and cut into thin strips
- 3 ounces ham, at least 97% lean, thinly shaved and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup canned kidney beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 small canned (drained) or frozen (thawed) artichoke hearts, halved
- 6 cherry peppers or Greek salad peppers
- 6 large pitted black olives
- 3/4 cup Creamy Italian Dressing or bottled nonfat or reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- Arrange the lettuce over the bottom of a large serving platter. Lay first the tomato and then the onion rings over the lettuce. Arrange the mozzarella or provolone and the ham strips over the onions. Arrange the kidney beans or chickpeas, artichoke hearts, peppers, and olives around the outer edges of the lettuce.
- Serve immediately, topping each serving with 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.