Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Salad
Red, white, and green are the colors of the Italian flag and are echoed in this Italian dish
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 small plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 6oz ( 150g) small buffalo mozzarella balls, torn in half
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp nonpareil capers, drained and rinsed
- basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted, skinned, and quartered
- Position a rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Arrange the tomatoes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the garlic and scallions. Drizzle 1 tbsp of the oil over the tomatoes.
- Broil the tomatoes for 4-5 minutes, or until they just begin to soften and the garlic is golden brown.
- Place the hot tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and all cooking juices in a bowl. Add the mozzarella, remaining 3 tbsp oil, vinegar, capers, and basil and toss gently.
- Place 2 avocado quarters on each of 4 plates. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the avocados and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!