Baby Gem Lettuce with Blue Cheese and Beets
Bleu cheese and beets make this simple salad a winning recipe.
Prep Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 51/2oz (150g) Roquefort or Gorgonzola, crumbled (about 11/2 cups)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head Little Gem (baby romaine) lettuce
- 3 small beets, sliced
- Pulse half of the cheese, the paprika, yogurt, and mint in a food processor to make a paste. Move to a bowl, add the remaining cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Separate the lettuce leaves to create 8 "boats," then fill each with beet slices and the cheese mixture. Serve with bread and chorizo.
- Instead of Baby Gem, use endive (chicory) or raddiccio-it is bitter, but works well with blue cheese.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!